Monday, August 31, 2015

Blog Post #1

Computers in Classroom
I think computers are extremely beneficial within Education but not necessarily within the actual classroom. Computers within the physical classroom are great when the teacher is the only one that has access but they can pose a huge threat to student concentration/participation if each individual student were to have access to one during class time. It is important for students to know how to use different forms of technology because technology is and will continue to be a huge part of our society but there is a time and place for them to learn those things, and I feel that it should be its own class. There are pros and cons to every new technological development but I feel as if the pros of technology within education outweigh the cons. Yes, learning the new technologies and keeping up-to-date can be time consuming for the teachers, but overall, having technology within the classroom creates a lot of new opportunities for educators to modify/enhance their teaching abilities.

My use of Computers
I plan to use computers in my classroom mainly for the internet. You can find almost anything on the internet and I think it is extremely beneficial for teachers. Since I plan on becoming a history teacher, the internet will be a great way for me to research historical events and keep up with/compare them to current events and share them in class. I will also use computers to make presentations for my lectures and make my life easier when it comes to organization and making lesson plans.

Digital Natives
I feel that the term "digital native" is fluid when it comes to who is and who isn't. Just because someone is born during a time of technology doesn't mean they have access to that technology and therefor, they should not be considered a "digital native". The term "digital native" seems unnecessary because everyone feels differently about the uses of technology, whether they grew up with it or not. Since I am considered a "digital native" I will point out that I do do things differently, when it comes to technology, compared to my parents who are considered "digital immigrants." Growing up with technology I feel that it is easier for me to learn new technologies than it is for those who did not grow up with it. I also feel like I am able to find shortcuts faster than the "digital immigrants." I feel that in time the word "digital natives" will disappear because soon, everyone will be a digital native and as long as you keep up with new technological discoveries, I don't think there will be a huge difference between future students and teachers when it comes to technological ability.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Nicole! You bring up an excellent point about computers influencing participation and concentration in the classroom. That is why it is important to incorporate activities that call for student participation. Great work!

    One quite note- be sure to number your blog posts correctly. This should be Blog Post #1. I just don't want it to confuse you in the future.

    ReplyDelete